Wednesday, February 23, 2011

A piano, perhaps?

So the other day I was perusing Craigslist to see what was on the market for pianos. I grew up with my mom's beautiful baby grand piano and I definitely miss having something to play. I found a couple of cute little console upright pianos that I thought would fit into the apartment, but they were at least $400. But you know, I was just looking, just curious.

I emailed a couple people about the dimensions of their pianos just to have a better idea of what I might be working with.

And then the following day I get a second email from one of the sellers. It said, "Actually, if you're still interested in the piano, would you take it for free?"

A FREE PIANO? OF COURSE. Voila:


I know, terrible image quality, but this is straight from the ad itself.

Before we finalize this deal, I have to make sure that we're not going to lug it home and realize that wow, it's still too big. So I've been looking at the dimensions and even had Y. tape out the size of the piano in the space to have a better idea of how it will actually look in the room.

Living Room Floor Plan

Our living room layout, courtesy of the Ethan Allen Room Planner, with the piano in place (and an imaginary rug, but nevermind). My only real concern is that it sticks out too far and will visually block the flow of the archway leading into the living room. And the tape:

The shape of the piano, taped


My gut says to go for it. It's not every day that you're offered a piano for free! And my mom mentioned to me that acoustic pianos don't get much smaller than this one. Also, the archway leading into the living room is a good four feet wide, so I don't think it's really going to make it awkward to walk through even if it does stick out a little.

Ooh I'm so excited! Can't wait to paint it a glossy white, find a cute little piano bench (it doesn't come with one), and upholster the seat in a fun fabric!

Now to find some piano movers...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...